What is Part P?

A brief history

In May 2003 the Government announced that it was introducing a new Part to the Building Regulations, Part P , which would bring domestic electrical installation work in England and Wales under the legal framework of the Building Regulations. It will, for the first time, place a legal requirement for safety upon electrical installation work in dwellings, although the sector is highly regarded for its high levels of conformity with its chief standard, BS 7671.
It was announced that Part P would only be introduced in law when self-certification schemes were in place to ensure competency of the work undertaken. Such schemes are now in place. Part P of the Building Regulations became a legal requirement on January 1st 2005. We at CKW Electrical are on the Part P register with NAPIT (National Association of Professional Inspectors & Testers).

How it affects you, the homeowner.

The aim of Part P is to further enhance the protection of homeowners, improve electrical safety in the home and prevent life-threatening accidents which are caused by faulty electrics.
If homeowners do not have Part P approved work carried out, they may face problems when trying to sell their home.
It is a criminal offence to carry out DIY electrics that do not comply with Building Regulations and can lead to a maximum fine of £5,000.
The law requires an electrician registered with a Government-approved scheme, such as NAPIT to carry out most electrical work in the home, and once the work is finished, CKW Electrical will provide you with a certificate.
DIY electrics must never be implemented in high risk locations such as kitchens, bathrooms and gardens. Unless the homeowner is only replacing accessories, the electrical work MUST be undertaken by a registered electrician or notified to building control.

What work can I do by myself?

Homeowners can only carry out DIY electrics if they can inspect and test that it is safe for use.
To comply with the law, homeowners must notify their local building control office before any work is carried out and pay the appropriate fee for an inspection.
The requirements of Part P apply to most electrical work in a home, however there are certain relaxations that apply for minor work.


Minor Work is electrical work that does not involve:


All electrical work must comply with (BS 7671: 2008) Requirements for electrical installations.
<top of page


The following types of work are non-notifiable:


  1. On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board
  2. If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected
  3. If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation
  4. Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations
  5. Special locations and installations are listed below
  6. Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory

Special locations and installations (Note: 5.)